Author Topic: 1993 U13 K2A4DE Oil leak in distributor problem  (Read 7312 times)

Offline DR-JEKL

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
1993 U13 K2A4DE Oil leak in distributor problem
« on: Jul 7, 2009, 07:19PM »
My old gal has a mint condition 1994 Nissan Bluebird (auto 2.4L with around 160k kays) which basically gets driven to the shops once a week and spends the rest of the time in the garage. (I drive a Lexus IS300 so sorry if I mistake the chassis code engine code details)

Six months ago the following occured: 

The car has been a dream to own since new it has never caused any problems, but on xmas eve my old gal got stuck @ the shopping centre and couldn't start the car.

A NRMA roadside tech came out looked at the plugs, added fuel to the car, looked at the air flow meter, unscrewed and cleaned the distributor cap but no matter what the technician tried the car would crank but wouldn't fire up. The car was towed to a local auto electrician.

Today the auto electrician rang to say the car was ready, and explained that the problem was caused by the distributor being full of oil, which must be due to a faulty/worn seal somewhere in the distributor. I mentioned that when the NRMA tech took the distributor cap off there was no oil in there so it seems strange that after the car was towed to the auto electrician and hadn't been driven that it would suddenly fill will oil... He blinked and ignored me and mentioned that the current fix is only temporary which might even last a few months but since they have never seen this problem before he really cant judge how long it will be ok for.

He recommended that we bring the car back to try and rebuild/reseal the distributor if they can in fact pull the K24 distributor down to try and prevent the oil from leaking into the distributor again When the car was taken back, he said the oil breather was blocked and it was right to go.

Six months later it is occuring again and there is approx a few hundred ml of oil leaked down from the bottom of the dizzy.

Is this a common fault with the K24, and is their rebuild kits as such readily available?

Also I changed the oil laste June to castrol edge 5W30 (I know its thin but the manual stated 10W30) surely this isnt the issue?
« Last Edit: Jul 7, 2009, 07:36PM by DR-JEKL »

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: 1993 U13 K2A4DE Oil leak in distributor problem
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8, 2009, 03:32PM »
This is a common problem on the DE.. sure there is a write-up somewhere on the site about rebuilding the dizzy.
Otherwise the option is to get a new dizzy which can be pricey.  Keep the O ring in the dizzy shaft fresh and tight and it should increase your chances (you see it when you pull the dizzy out).  Think the real problem is deaper inside the thing as shown in the mystical writeup i speak of earlier. (if I had more time I'd find it myself).

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2009, 02:28AM »
A couple of threads about the u13 failing, i mean distributor, which seems to fail in every u13 out there. re call anyone ? bloody nissan
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,10193.0.html
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,5483.0.html#top
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,14168.0.html

new dizzy is bout $750 to $1000 depending on where you look. 2nd hand $300ish i saw and a rebuilt one cost me $220

There is 1 inner seal on the shaft  that needs replacing and a bearing. the outer seals dont seem to be at fault but are $30 from nissan and doable yourself.
1 of the links someone mentions drilling a hole in the cap to let the oil out
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:41PM »
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,16423.msg259014.html#msg259014

Don't worry about changing one till you are sure that cleaning the distributor doesn't help. I've given mine a good clean and sealed it with some 'liquid' electrical tape thingy from Jaycar. It has been running happy ever since.

A tip for you is that if you clean it properly, you need to do 2 things:

1. Change the 2 screws for the distributor cap with a good quality philip head one so that you can tighten the distributor cap up properly.

2. Seal around the distributor cap with the 'liquid' electrical tape or silicon that can withstand high temperature.

3. Also, give the contacts inside the 'distributor connector' a good clean with electrical cleaner.

If you really want a distributor, go get a new one, a 2nd hand one will give you more oil leak problems in the future. Keep us posted of how you go.

All the best. :)

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2009, 08:29PM »
i paid roughly $200 dollars for a non genuine dizzy and that was sent from the states!